Pages

Thursday 7 April 2011

The Machine: Underwood Noiseless/Elliott Fisher Co.

My partner found this Underwood Noiseless made by the Elliott Fisher Manufacturing Company in an antique store in Port Credit Ontario.  It is made in the USA of course, and probably dates from the mid-1930's. It is very heavy and this one unfortunately was stored poorly so there is a lot of rust. Some of the keys do not work, but I have yet to even address all its issues. I have not really even cleaned it properly yet. I am photographing it in its as-is state so that I can then post the "after" shots when I am done.   Here is a great ad for the Noiseless Office, which incidentally was never truly achieved and I read somewhere that without the loud clanking of the keys, office management questioned productivity.
 http://machinesoflovinggrace.com/ptf/UndNoiselessAd.html











No comments:

Post a Comment